Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pray For Him



Today I wake up to the sound of rain.  I shower, dress, eat breakfast, and walk outside to a downpour.


I'm drenched by the time I get to my car and say to myself, "Today's gonna be a bad day."


9.51 am.  My mom calls.  7.51 am Utah time.  I'm sitting at my desk at work.


"Nate, we're at the emergency room.  Dad's in surgery.  He was having chest pains.  I don't know how bad it is.  Pray for him."


I do.


12.00 Noon.  I go to lunch with three Mormon missionaries.  I don't mention a word to them about my father...but they feel impressed to talk about families with me.  They ask about my parents.  They ask what type of father I want to be.  I simply say, "Like my dad."


2.22 pm.  My mom calls.


"Nate, Dad had a massive heart attack.  He's in extremely critical condition in the ICU.  The doctors say he has a 50 percent chance of surviving.  His heart has extensive damage.  Pray for him."


I am.


7 am tomorrow.  I fly home to see my father.  My mentor.  My example.  My Santa Claus.  My car repair question answerer.  My friend.  Hooked up to dozens of tubes.  Fighting for his life.


1.20 am.  Right now.  I walk outside.  The rain has finally stopped.  The sky is clear except for an exquisitely bright moon and one single shiny star.






The storm has passed.  All is calm.  Peace is restored.


A still, small voice comes to my mind as I stare into the heavens.


"All will be well.  Pray for him."


I will.


Not only that, but a friend told me 50 percent odds get much better when a lot of people pray.


So I ask a small favor of you.


Pray for him.


My mom and dad holding their newest grandchild in April.



10 comments:

  1. Awww, Nate, I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I'm praying for your Dad and you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for a speedy recovery! I know you won't have a lot of time while you are out here but I am hoping to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate - when did you get so eloquent? I can't wait to see you and am glad you are coming out. I love your Dad more than I can express. You are so lucky to have him. He is one of the best people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So touching, Nate. Chalk up our prayers with the rest. I hope he continues to improve. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a moving post. I'm praying for him too.
    Debbie (friend of Amy's)

    ReplyDelete