Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Good Friday Miracle

Yesterday an 18 ton jet crashed into an apartment complex. 


No one was killed or seriously injured. 


It's being called "The Good Friday Miracle."


The Navy jet was flying at least three times the G-force of the fastest roller coaster you've ever been on.
The student pilot and his instructor knew something wasn't right.  They experienced a "catastrophic engine failure" right after take-off...so they dumped 8000 pounds of fuel and parachuted from the jet at the last possible moment.






The aircraft smashed into five apartment buildings around noon.  Massive flames and plumes of smoke filled the air.  At least 40 units were destroyed.






No one was killed or seriously injured.


"The Good Friday Miracle."








I got to Virginia Beach four hours after the wreck happened.  I had seen video and pictures of the scene before I arrived...but was speechless when I saw it with my own eyes.


I was stunned when I learned only seven people (including the two pilots) received "minor" injuries and they were all quickly released from the hospital.
The first person I interviewed was Patrick Kavanaugh.  


This former Navy EMT has suffered FIVE heart attacks, has severe back problems, and is in poor health.


He heard the crash and explosions...then looked outside and saw one of the pilots lying on his back deck!  He ran to help and likely saved the man's life.


Here's his riveting account of what happened:





I have never covered something of this magnitude that ends in such an amazing way.  


No one killed or seriously injured.


"The Good Friday Miracle."

3 comments:

  1. Good reporting Nate!! And it truly was a miracle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is amazing - I can't believe that. Good work reporting. And thank the Lord for miracles!

    ReplyDelete