Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hate Mail

A viewer sent me a message the other day.  This happens often.  Folks send news tips, comment about stories, ask me questions, and sometimes just say hi.

In this case, our wonderful viewer Anthony wrote this:  
The first thing that went through my mind after reading this was, "He spelled 'hell' wrong."  Then I thought, "I know I don't have the typical low baritone voice most male (and some female) newscasters have, but an accent?  I have an accent?  I've always wanted an accent!  What type of accent do I have?"

This isn't the first time I've gotten a nasty email.  The majority of mean messages come from those who have been the subject of my stories (accused criminals, shady businesses, etc.).  Then there's those who write because they think my reports are slanted or unfair.  Then there's those like Anthony.

I want to write him back but don't know what to say.  What do you think?  What would you say?  How should I respond?  I want to hear your thoughts.  Oh, and do I have an accent?

While you're thinking about that, click here to watch a story this high nasally voiced reporter with an accent did that made it on CNN tonight.  Not to brag or anything :-)

By the way, I'm getting married in 32 days!  Have you visited our wedding website and given us your address?  If not, click here!



9 comments:

  1. What a loser - in my experience, the best thing to do is not respond and just let it go. The last thing you need is to start battling emails with an idiot. Can't wait to see you reporting for CNN every night!!! And can't wait to see you in April!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CNN!!! - That's awesome! Who cares about your voice your story is on CNN.

    I can't pinpoint an accent but you have a reporter voice which always sounds different from regular voices.

    Don't respond. I wouldn't respond because it won't get you anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget Anthony or anyone else who tries to bring you down. We like you, we really really like you! I wrote about you on my blog: maisymak.blogspot.com! Wild horses and Nate! Oh those were the days...Anthony might have some dirt on you if he only knew you then. Right now it's just me :) Happy 32 days before big wedding day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's your Utah accent that he doesn't like, since he's a southern boy. CNN didn't seem to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I'm not sure I would call it an accent in the traditional sense you do sound like you grew up in Utah. I have never been able to pinpoint exactly what it is, maybe a slightly different enunciation or something but I can usually tell by talking to a person if they are of Utah origin. I say own it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know its funny. Maybe us, out in the west, don't think we have an accent but it reminds me of a story. So a few years ago I took a trip out to New York to visit some friends I went to BYU with. While on a loud busy subway, a guy interrupts my friend and asks her if I was from Utah. I overheard and said actually I'm from Colorado but I've lived in Utah for 2 years. I asked him how he knew and he said he lived in Eden, UT for a while. I was like what the heck?! I'm thinking we, out in the west, as region have an accent, or maybe its no accent at all but to people on the east coast it sounds different so they think we have an accent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edit: Unless say the word "Snow Machine" and your not referring to a machine that makes snow but to a snowmobile, then I know exactly where you are from. Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say "How are you a typer on the Internet if you can't even spell?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should thank him for watching you enough that he knows your name.")I don't know anyone's name on the news until I'v seen them like 10 times. My Dad always told me that the best way to get back at someone who was mean was to be super nice to them. ") It has worked wonders for me.
    P.S. I have been very impressed by you.

    ReplyDelete