Thursday, July 15, 2010

10 days...

In a little over a week, my life will change.  I've been anticipating (and somewhat dreading) this for the past nine months.  I'm a little nervous...a lot excited...and ready.


I'm ready to wake up extra early to avoid the heat.
I'm ready to feel exhausted on Saturday's.
I'm ready to crawl into bed with my eyes closed every night.

I'm ready to endure blisters, sore knees, scrapes, bumps, and bruises.





I'm ready to begin training for the Richmond Marathon!



My shoes are broken in. My i-pod nano is loaded with a mix ready to play. My drawer is full of nasty tasting gels, shots, and bars.  


 
 
 
Here's the plan I'll follow. ------------------->
 
 
I ran the 26.2 mile course last year with my friend Liz and finished in 4 hours and 20 minutes.
This year I will finish in under 4 hours.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've run several races before.
 
My good friend Chris and I ran the Teton Dam Half-Marathon in Idaho a few years ago.
 
 
 
 


Last summer I was in New Hampshire for Memorial Day and competed in the Black Fly Blitz.  Such a fun race - and cousin Amy and I even medaled in our age groups!  She's secretly planning to come run Richmond with me.





Two months ago I ran the Filthy Muddy 5K Fun Run in Richmond.  Who wouldn't want to be in a race that involves climbing through a river, jumping across rocks, and ends by jump into a massive vat of mud? 



There's something about pounding the pavement that can be therapeutic.  I've discovered answers to major questions while running down Monument Avenue.  I've thought about important issues and received revelation while struggling up one too many hills.  I've met life-long friends while silently pushing through pain in Idaho potato fields.

So now I'm ready for months of training, sweat, injuries, and emotion. 
It will all be worth it when I cross the finish line that cool, crisp November morning. 

In a little over a week, my life will change.

Will you join me?




5 comments:

  1. Naters, LOVE your blog. I'm leaving a comment so now you have to leave me comments! LOVE your blog - did I already say that? I'm SO ready to take on the challenge with you. Um, the 1/2 marathon challenge :) I have a 5 mile race on Saturday and then I really need to start the serious training! Great launch (and Erica is a doll :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. How did you do that cool do-dad on your blog? I pressed "blog this" and it posted the blog on mine. Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. I will not be joining you. I will be at the Cheesecake Factory. I cannot speak for Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When's the race? Would you be surprised if Dad and I joined you? That might be a sign that the world as we know it is coming to an end. Take good care of your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ill semi-join you!!! while you are doing the marathon, i'll be doing the 8K. what?? did you think i was crazy enough for a marathon!!! maybe one day but i have to work up to it so the next step would be a half marathon.
    p.s. luv the blog:)

    ReplyDelete